8 Clever Ways to Use Lavender Essential Oil (& 5 Surprising Benefits)
When it comes to relaxing and calming the senses, nothing can beat the significant role that the sense of smell provides. This is why aromatherapy with the use of essential oils has become so popular. Coming to a home filled with the naturally beautiful scent of flowers is not only soothing but is also known to provide strong physical and mental benefits.
While there are so many types of essential oils available, lavender is one of the most popular and most studied of all the plant volatiles. It’s not surprising because lavender offers a fantastic scent and is believed to be effective at treating various ailments for centuries. Being the most versatile of all natural plant extracts, the list of lavender essential oil uses and its benefits can go endless.
8 Ways To Use Lavender Essential Oil
The name comes from the Latin word ‘Lavare,’ which means ‘to wash.’ Both the flowers and oil of the lavender plant were used to add fragrance to the water in which the ancient Romans, Greeks, Persians, as well as the Egyptians, used to bathe.
Other ancient civilizations also made perfumes out of lavender, used it during the mummification process and to freshen up musty stones around castles. You will also be surprised to know that lavender was used as a deodorant and natural disinfectant during the Plague of London to protect people against the Black Death.
There’s no wonder, therefore, that until these days this king of volatiles is very useful in so many ways. Here are some of the handful of lavender essential oil uses that you can try at home. You will surely enjoy all the benefits that come with every use of this beautiful oil.
- The most UNIQUE and AMAZING SMELLING Lavender on the market, in our opinion. If you are not ABSOLUTELY amazed, receive a full refund from the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, no questions asked!
- SUPERIOR EXPERIENCE: If you are just trying our Lavender for the first time and you do not switch to it permanently as your new favorite oil the manufacturer, Healing Solutions, will refund your money, guaranteed.
- PURE + RIGOROUS QUALITY TESTING & CONTROLS: Distillation facility is GMP, ISO 9001 and Kosher certified, FDA Registered. Make sure ALL oils you buy have these qualifications
- Healing Solutions is SUPERIOR because it offers over 170 different oils for blending/pairing.
1. Air Freshener
Lavender has been a favorite scent for many with its natural flowery smell. You can also bask in its great scent by using it as an air freshener. It’s not only affordable, but you're freeing your family from using harmful chemicals.
2. Remedy for Skin Conditions
You might have seen a plethora of skin care products that use lavender as the main ingredient. This is because of the wonders that it offers in alleviating many skin problems, such as wrinkles, eczema, and even psoriasis, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
You can add a few drops of lavender essential oil to your lotion and other beauty products.
3. Headache Relief
Chances are, you’re experiencing headaches from time to time whether due to stress or other things. Inhaling lavender essential oil will help relieve your headache fast. You can either use the oil on its own or blend it with other essential oils.
You can diffuse about 5 drops in an oil burner of diffuser, or inhale the oil directly from the bottle for several seconds.
4. Healing Mild Burns
In case you get yourself or your kids’ mildly burned, you can use a drop or two of the best lavender essential oil to speed up the healing process. Simply cool down the burn in cold water first before treating it with the oil.
5. Treating Wounds
Same as relieving burns, you can also use a mixture of 4-5 drops of lavender oil and warm distilled water to help heal a wound by pouring it over or using a clean cloth to wash the area. But this is only applicable for small scrapes and cuts and not on deep wounds.
6. Stress and Anxiety Relief
Given the high calming and balancing properties of lavender essential oil, it can effectively relieve stress and anxiety you might be suffering from. You can use it on a diffuser or as a massage oil to make you feel relaxed.
7. Homemade Potpourri
The lavender plant can also be a great ingredient in making your homemade potpourri. This is a a mixture of dried, naturally fragrant plant material, used to provide a gentle natural scent.
You can just add a safe amount of the oil to it, or you may also use the flowers, dried herbs, leaves, fruits, and even wood chips of the lavender plant.
8. A Green House Cleaner
Lavender essential oil is also known for its antimicrobial properties, making it an excellent choice for many homeowners who prefer natural products in cleaning their house. You can also create your own cleaner that you can use to clean every area in your home.
5 Lavender Essential Oil Benefits You’ll Love
What comes with those many lavender essential oil uses is its wealth of health benefits that your family will surely enjoy. Thanks to the richness of the lavender plant of its natural healing and aromatherapeutic properties. Studies reveal that it offers these wonderful medical and physical qualities: analgesic, antibacterial, antidepressant, antiseptic, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, calmative, cicatrizing, sedative, spasmolytic, vulnerary, and cytophylactic.
- Breathing in a lavender essential oil through a diffuser will help lift your mood, ease nausea or anxiety you are experiencing. It can also help relieve your insomnia and let you sleep longer and deeper. In addition, it’s also found to be effective at reducing pre-operation stress and anxiety in patients.
- Another great health benefit of the oil is in relieving many kinds of pain with its analgesic and spasmolytic properties. It works well to relieve muscle pain, arthritic or rheumatic joints, sprains, strains, and other aches.
- Apart from helping in many skin conditions, the best lavender essential oil is also effective at treating different hair problems such as dry hair and hair loss or alopecia.
- Along with the numerous lavender essential oil uses, it can also be used to improve digestion and help calm stomach distress. By just rubbing the oil over the abdomen, it can relieve constipation, indigestion, and diarrhea.
- If you despise insect bites, then using a lavender essential oil will be a perfect solution for you. It can deter insects, such as lice, mosquitoes, and bugs. Once you have bitten already, a drop of the oil can relieve intense itching or pain.
These are just some of the many benefits that the use of lavender essential oil provides. Enumerating all of them will take a lot more pages to mention but knowing these major ones will help you appreciate this natural wonder.